Resources - [Word Docs]
Marketing the Event
Family Invitation and RSVP
Save the Date Poster
Student Leader Application
Volunteer Request Form
Station Evaluation Form
End of Event Evaluation Form
Download All Forms [zip file]
So, what exactly is a Polymer Family Night?
A Polymer Family Night is an exciting new way to bring your school and your community together. It's an evening where students and their families have the opportunity to explore several hands-on experimental lab stations. Each one of these creative labs is designed to provide science education in an engaging and memorable way. Participants discover what polymers are; that they encounter them every day; and that polymers have many unique characteristics and amazing properties. In short, Polymer Family Nights are action-packed fun for the entire family!
Why should you organize and run your own Polymer Family Night?
Teachers tell us that one of the best rewards they receive from hosting a Polymer Family Night is the joy of watching families have fun as they learn and discover together. Other benefits include: the pleasure of watching students grow as they embrace their roles as leaders; and families get to experience inquiry based science lessons. With the help of this website, you can easily host one of these exciting evenings at your school too!
What does a typical Polymer Family Night (PFN) look like?
Most PFN's last approximately 2 hours. The outline below will give you a general idea of what happens during this time.
- Registration/Check In
- Refreshments (usually kept available throughout the evening)
- What are Polymers? - brief explanation that answers this question (some teachers choose to show the short video "What are Polymers?"
- Instructions and overview of event.
- Lab Stations (guests will rotate between stations; 20 minutes per station; 5 minutes in-between stations)
- Suggested Lab Ideas (based on the Lesson Plans on the AGPA website)
- Station Evaluation Forms (given to guests when each station time is completed)
- Closing Ceremonies
- Closing Remarks
- Door Prizes