Author: Sandy Van Natta
Source: "The Rubber Band Stretch", Chain Gang - The Chemistry of Polymers, Sarquis, M., editor, Terrific Science Press, Center for Chemical Education, Miami University Middletown, Middletown, Ohio, 1995, pgs. 41- 46.
What should the students know as a result of this lesson?
- Students will state that elasticity is a physical property
- Students will describe that rubber decreases in length when heated and increases in length when cooled
- Students will describe the effects of temperature changes on the physical properties
- Students will be able to give a simple explanation related to the change in length of a rubber band subjected to various temperature changes
What should the students be able to do as a result of this lesson?
- Students will be able to measure differences in length of rubber bands at different temperatures and relate this to molecular motion within the polymer strand